sidebar title

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Recently I've been Jazzfesting, Blockpartying, Breakfasting, Being kissed by more random girls, meeting quarter natives and trying to work out when I can return this movie between all the other stuff I've had to do. Looks like this post is going to be another mini-epic. I did have a nice little filler post on my top 10 in vancouver, but so much STUFF happened before I could post it. So much more is going to be happening over the next week or so it makes my head spin.

I'll try and start at the beginning, I guess. On the sunday after the Alexander street blockparty I went on down to the Commercial Drive Blockparty. Which was the same, only bigger, louder and way way more awesome. It's all based on the idea of “Hey, let's take all the cars off one of the funkiest streets in vancouver for a day and see what it's like”. Loads of stalls, live music, entertainment and patio's from the stores on commercial just spill into the middle of the drive. Whilst I was there I saw a guy juggling flaming torches whilst balancing on a skateboard on the top of a pole, a seven year old girl rapping about 50 cent (that was CLASSIC), a guy who made things out of reclaimed leather who might make something I need (ask no questions, kay) and a girl who kissed me because I gave her some of my food. Crazy.

The next couple of days I went out, did more alcohol fueled antics. By wednesday I needed a break, so I went down to a hole in the wall diner called Bon's off Broadway. I remember it being recommeded at the backpackers lodge for it's breakfast, and for a good reason. It's a really solid, yummy grease fest. Bon know's how to cure hangovers. He also knows how to supply somone with way too much coffee (I had 6 cups >_>). I ran into Alexis herself down there, comiserated that she had to work and wouldn't be able to go to the beach.

I took the latter part of Wednesday to go to Dressew and buy matirials for my super secret project that I'm working on. I ended up spending $25 on goodies because it was just so amazing in there. It's like a creativity orgasm for anyone who is into making costumes. I got some crazy awesome trim for the shirt I want to customise (although I currently lack the shirt itself...hmmm, gotta work on that one)

Thursday I headed out to the opening of Duran's new Lounge in Gastown. I got to know him a little when he was running the Video monster store behind my appartment; it was pretty fun but I had to go to another SWAP pub meet. Ran into my scottish counterparts who where still holding on to a plan to build a Synagog in Vancouver.
Chatting to them, I finaly got talked around to the idea of making an “Unoffical” backpackers guide for Vancouver. Then I got distracted talking to a couple of girls from London (no, not THAT london. The one in Ontario, you know, the fake one) as I tend to do. Later still I tried to drunkenly explain to my companions why I can talk to girls in pubs with other things than getting into their pants on my mind without acctauly being gay or currently in a relationship and failed miserably. Next time I'll stick to the "I'm a gentleman and stuff like that is just not cricket" story.

Friday I was back at work during the day, the continued rising tempretures decided that I would be going out for a couple of beers for the evening at somewhere with a nice patio and work on my reaserch notes for the guide. Calling on the mighty powers of Serendipity, I went to the Backstage Lounge on Granville Island. BEST PLAN EVER. I was pleased to discover the barman there remebered me from my one visit months back when I had first arrived, the afternoon wore on and I considered hanging around for the evening show the “Zayne Project”. Another genius plan from spontinuity. Zayne and his cohorts, played an odd blend of Rock, Soul and Hip-hip with fun results. Zayne himself was a super excistable performer who liked to do all the moves. Although one of my favourite things about them was there ability to flow from songs to banter, to singing happy birthday back to songs again, with hardly any break. It rocked.

Later still and I got chatting to a girl called Kaila (prounounced Kay-lah). Wait...I need a new variation on that sectance. What can I say, I end up talking to a LOT of people. I end up doing a lot of stuff. Julia at the swap center mention how I get out and do a lot of “crazy local stuff”. I don't know why, I guess I just am. Perhaps I'm waiting for somone with the guts to pick up the phone and call me for once. Apparently, they aren't in plentiful supply considering the number of people I've met and swapped details with. We can call each other any time anywhere, which means it means EVEN LESS to call somone. Bah. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a rant about stupid modern social structures.

Where was I...oh yeah, Kaila was a quater native girl I was talking to (the third person that evening, acctauly) and very friendly. We spent the evening chatting between songs. She and her friends helped me locate my bike afterwards. Since I hadn't been expecting to have four or five pints I hadn't taken care to memorise where I left it. I made it home in the end without incident. Asside from getting a little lost after the Cambie bridge 'ahem'.

Onward to Saturday, a crazy deaf lady came into work and pushed the cup stand over when we wouldn't give her free coffee. I'm getting sick of the street people intimidating my friends at work, but I don't want to cause problems by being too confrontational with them. I am working on a plan to deal with her if she appears again, I think I need to borrow on my sisters nanny superpowers to let them know that throwing a tatntrum is going to get you sent to stand in the naughty corner.

I headed back home, when I got to Gastown I found that the jazzfest was in full swing. I stopped by a cafe and browsed the events list whilst drinking a smoothie (I was at my coffee limit already, sue me) and suddenly discovered that I had 1 hour to get to the Capilano Bridge to see the Wanda Norwiki quartet play live. Luck was on my side and public transportation wasn't evil and I made it with 10 minutes to spare.

I used those 10 minutes to go check out the bridge itself, normaly it costs $10 to get in, but thanks to the jazz fest admission was free. It was intresting, not worth $10 really. Quite a bit of fun, and the views are great (but then, they are great MOST places in Vancouver). It's about a rickerty as you can get away with making a modern bridge, I choose to show off on my return journy and walk along without using the handrail for support.

When I got to the gig Wanda recognised me strait away from our previous meeting at Seb's on Broadway. She's a real sweetie and offered to try and get me into see Neko Case (who I really wanted to go see, but can't afford the $30 admission fee). I've pretty much become part of the unofficial entourage and declared myself her first british fanboy. Her sister give me a lift back to the Waterbus station downtown too. They're playing at Sebs next friday, I'm half hoping to find somone to drag down there so I can share my discovered combo of great food and music with. Oh, and Wanda is a big bike rider too, she told me off for not using a helmet.

Whew, that's everything I think. I've written about 2 and 1/2 pages since I got home around 10:30ish. I wish I could crunch this down some more but I just can't think of anything else I could get away with removing. I haven't even talked about the AMAZING (but now getting unbearably hot) weather here. My plans to go to Seattle next month. The air Ballette I saw one day cycling home. How my manager Greg is acctualy a Liverpudlien in disguise. The big plans I have for my guide...So much for what certain sisters said about me stopping my blog when I got settled.

Incidently, the more comments I get, the more often I check my blog and update it. Thus the less loooong, time consuming posts you get. Not that I'm, y'know, hinting at anything.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you asked so nicely. Here's a comment.

2:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto!

3:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And another thing - I like the looooooooong blogs.

3:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do I - but I also like the short blogs too. Each has their own particular purpose.

4:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm - if I remember rightly when I posted a comment complaining about the long delay between entries I was more or less told you were too busy to be bothered - so don't only blame us!

4:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kissed by random girls sounds like a great name for an album.

4:08 am  
Blogger Titch said...

Kissed by random girls will be the title for the soundtrack to Duncan Goes to Canada when it gets turned into a hollywood blockbuster.

11:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HURRY UP AND VISIT ME DUNCAN! :[

1:58 pm  
Blogger Titch said...

July 23rd-27th is booked off work as time to come and visit you Ollie.

10:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home