sidebar title

Friday, May 05, 2006

Life is full of those "if only" moments, like, when my boss from the Old Spahghetti factory had called at 4pm yesterday and asked me to come cover for somone who quit on them, if only I had asked "am I covering for one regular (and therfor much faster than me) or two" as the case was. This meant that instead of leaving at just before midnight, which I had deemed acceptable, I left at 2.45am, to grab an couple of hours disturbed sleep before going to work again. In the big book of management Fau Paux, I think THAT deserves to be rated pretty danm high.

Luckily I've had some sleep (and a mango smoothy, I always wake up hungry and thirsty) went to SWAP in the little time I had left in the day and booted my copy of KNOPPIX. It suddenly came to me that I might be able to get thier broken computer running on it again, so I let Julie know before I left and said I would come in and give it a shot on monday. Now I've just got to get it to work on MY computer.

Duncan Out...for the count.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should ask for double time - it sounds as if they need you more than you need them. They can only say no at worst and they might say yes.
I hope you are successful with KNOPPIX as I am dying to try out Skype now.
Have just spent about 30mins wrestling with A & L Bank. aaarrgh.
Any more mice?
M x x x

5:17 am  
Blogger Titch said...

If they hadn't been very VERY apologetic and accomodating afterwards I would have considered it. Jeff gave me the rest of the week off, (covering two shifts at the last minute) and set me with an IOU for a Beer and a meal of my choice :). Al has switched my permenant shifts around too to make life easier.

I just need to catch up on some sleep now.

PS. Knoppix should be able to recongnise my digi-cam, but I haven't been able to copy the pix yet.

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleased to hear you have made progress with KNOPPIX. Last night Heidi was asking me about photos. She has been following your progress too!

Pleased to hear also that work is getting more sensible.

M x x x

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see that your flexibility and co-operation was properly appreciated.

Not very often bosses do that - and glad that your shifts have changed so you can occasionally get some sleep or have some fun.

5:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so does this mean you got paid for the session or by the hour? ie did you end up working three hours more than you expected for no extra pay?

5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home