sidebar title

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Why is it that a whole bunch of stuff happens over the weekend, when I'm feeling too stingy to pay to update my blog? I've been rather busy (despite and also because of work). For those of you who don't want to read an epic post to get to the pretty pictures, just scroll down to the bottom of this post and the links are there. I feel like I'm being violated by Translink who are entirely unsympathetic to my wish to not have to aim to get to work half and hour early just in case they want to do random crap and I miss my bus because of it. The practical upshot of the buses in Vancouver making my life a bitch is that I'm going to get an official written warning at work for lateness. Although a little more worrying is how much it pisses off my co-workers.

Speaking of my co-workers, When discussing going out on one of my little jaunty adventures around Vancouver, Alexis (who is cute enough to take the place of the second cutest punk rocker I know, she doesn't one up Angie though) told me about some bands rocking out down at the Ukrainian Cultural Centre. Since rocking out really works for me, I decided to check it out, even though I had work the next day.

Getting to the centre itself was an interesting enough experience. A couple of blocks away from where I had approximated the centre to be, I entered a residential area and things got very very quiet. It was pretty amazing, you could pretty much forget you where in the middle of a city in the calm there. I was starting to think I was lost until I caught the sound of sound check guitar riffs being played on an amp turned up to 11. It's making me more certain that moving over to the east side like I planned originally would be a good, a more social atmosphere would be nice too.

The gig itself was fun. It was this strange mix of a traditional punk rock concert combined with the general eclectic-ness of the East Side. The two bands, where pretty generic in my opinion, which got me dirty looks from some people there. Screw social faux pau I say what I like, if memory serves thats supposed to be pretty damn punk anyway. Alexis turned out to be one of those awesomely popular people who knew EVERYONE. She took me on social rounds between songs. Another load of names I've forgotten. I discovered Alexis's boyfriend was playing as the drummer in the band (and weirdly enough the lead singer, I've never seen that before). Being the responsible person I am, despite drinking copious amounts of alcohol and probably getting a little high on second hand fumes from the pot. I managed to make it home and set my alarm for the next day.

Which brings me on to the Translink screwage. Translink is the public transport service, that it seems until a few days ago pretty reliable. That was, until Friday this week. On Friday morning, the bus just sped strait past my stop, making me 20 minutes late for work. Saturday, I get to see it pulling away from the stop 5 minutes EARILIER than usual, probably karma for my complaints the previous day. That'll teach ME for leaving myself 25 minutes to get to work in the mornings.

Not to be out done, the managers at the Old Spaghetti factory decided to counter this stupidity by putting a trainee with me at work and NOT TELLING ME. Good one guys, put a trainee with a worker with the least possible experience. I went and politely reminded my manager that in most circles doing that sort of thing is considered bad form. I got another apology (and a reminder that at least it wasn't 3am... give it up Tam, your not going to get out of me holding you accountable for that, and no, I'm not going to forget about THIS either) that didn't really help with the whole issue of having an hour and a bit less time to sleep and being way more tired having to cover for the other guy. Nobody like dish washing, the reason you work really hard is so that your out of there as soon as possible. It doesn't take any brain power to work that one out. I didn't get a proper break or a meal either.

So then I'm late again on Monday. This makes it 3 day's in row since Greg told me he was going to write me up for it. Monica was really nice on the phone when she called me. I'm really not sure how to deal with this, I'm doing a really terrible job of showing I can be responsible and take account for my own shortcomings. Oddly enough the lateness is corrolated with taking the second job, but I don't want to drop it incase Greg decides to let me go. If I was him I would be furious with me by now. I'm heading in today to face the music and talk to him about it before he gets the story from anyone second hand. That is all I can do asside from upping my getting to work time to 45 minutes.

On the bright side, some good things have been happening. I'm starting to get to know some of the people on my floor now. I was daring and let in a lady who had lost her keys because she knew my name. I also discovered Tanya, who works in the back of JJ Bean, lives across the block from me. I ran into Duran (who runs the video rental place I have) took my overdue DVD even though the shop was shut and said we could work something out. Finally, and most awesomely, I have a bike :). Camille one of my awesome co-workers, hooked me up with Seth who collects and re-fits bikes. He sold me an awesome old british folding cruiser for $50. He also fixed it up a bit for me, fitted a quick release on the saddle, repainted the chain guard and fixed the tracking on the handlebars. Just the service in england would have probably cost me that much.

I've also got my computer temporerily set up with an install of KNOPPIX on the hard drive, until the copy of Mandriva I ordered arrives. Which in addition to booting OBSCENELY fast, has decided to jazz with my camera. So I can finaly hook everyone up with some photos. First up, my room:


Multicoloured Comforter
March Desk Wall Fridge Entrance
May Desk Wall Fridge Entrance

I stash all my junk in this draw, wooo.
My awesome fold up bike. Little bike for a little guy.

Thats it for now. More to come soon

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it stating the obvious to ask why you don't cycle to work now you have a bike?

11:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know he has only just got the bike, because the bus never runs on time and also because up until now he has not had the money to buy one. Hence need for two jobs, hence always working long hours, hence being late for work .... need I say more.

Nice drawers Duncan!!

M x x x

12:16 pm  
Blogger Titch said...

I got the bike on the last day I was working this week. I'm going to be cycling to work on Friday though.

3:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well when you get your rollicking you can at least explain you have taken steps to resolve the problem....

2:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact why don't you ask for a reprieve to prove you can be on time now you have wheels?

M x x x

5:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovly fridge DunX, what about the view out of your window?? Or is your fridge so awesome it would have upstaged the view out the window!!

Hannaxx

4:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home